1875 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Completed in 2006, the 1875 Pennsylvania Avenue development is an interconnected, three building complex that allowed WilmerHale, the main tenant, to operate seamlessly between the structures. The new 364,000 square-foot building connects to the existing buildings at 1801 and 1899 Pennsylvania Avenue, and encompasses the north side of Pennsylvania Avenue between 18th and 19th Streets.
The 13-story 1875 Pennsylvania Avenue features 19,000 square-foot floor plates, two levels of below-grade office space, and three levels of underground parking. A poured-in-place post tensioned concrete frame supports an elegant glass curtain wall and precast exterior. The lobby features a dramatic, 150-foot atrium and a sloped fountain, connecting to shallow fountain pools. Conference rooms on every floor face the atrium. Another dramatic feature is three bridges, completely suspended from one side, which provide access to the neighboring building on the west side. The building also incorporates many two-story features, extensive conference and file storage facilities, multiple balconies, and a rooftop terrace.
Clark managed the challenging site, which was bound on the east and west by existing buildings and an active alley serving adjacent parking garages and loading docks to the north. The south side of the project fronts on H Street, NW, one of the few east-west commuter routes in this part of the city. It could not be closed during the business week.