National Museum of Women in the Arts
Originally constructed in 1907 as a Masonic Temple, the six-story, 78,000 square-foot the National Museum of Women in the Arts is a world class facility dedicated exclusively to the exhibition, preservation, and acquisition of works by women artists of all nationalities and periods.
The National Museum of Women in the Arts project required both restoration and new construction to preserve and transform the existing temple. The complex restoration effort involved the installation of patterned Turkish marble floors and sweeping marble stairways to establish a dramatic entrance and reception area in the Grand Hall. New construction blends expertly with the building’s original elements to create modern galleries, office space, and a 200-seat auditorium. Special mechanical systems, including a halon system for fire prevention were installed to maintain the stringent controls for museum exhibits.